- 1 large green cabbage
- 1 cup carrots
- 2 medium onions
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1/2 sachet caldwells starter culture
- 1/4 cup water
- Shred the cabbage, grate the carrot and slice the onion very finely
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, carrots, onions, oregano, chilli flakes and salt.
- Massage or lightly pound these ingredients for 5 - 10 minutes until juices are released from the cabbage.
- In a separate small bowl, combine caldwell starter culture and water. Stir gently and allow to sit for 8 minutes (maximum of 10 minutes).
- While you are waiting, clean your fermenting jar with very hot soapy with and rinse well.
- Add starter culture/water mix to your vegetables and combine well.
- Pack vegetables tightly into your jar and cover with 2 large cabbage leaves, making sure there is enough brine to cover the leaves
- Seal jar and fill airlock with water.
- Leave in a cool place out of sunlight for 1 - 2 weeks.
- Enjoy as a delicious side to various meat and vegetables dishes.
*If you want to make this in a 5L Crock pot, simply double or triple the recipe :)
Images: marthastewart . com